Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Table for one?

I have been given the opportunity to spend an entire year on my own. A big sarcastic “Thank You!” to the Powers That Be for taking that pesky boyfriend on a swanky vacation to the Middle East until next Spring. Which leaves me here, contemplating my oneness, as a party of one.

So, how does one go about entertaining oneself for an entire year? First, one begins by referring to oneself as “one”, a classy twist on referring to oneself in third person. Then one makes a list, “Things to do to keep oneself from knitting the cats sweaters.”

What to do, what to do, when you’re a non-single in a universe of couples? All activities seem to be geared towards meeting someone to couple up with, or are designed to enhance your coupleness. But what if you’re one half of a couple? Where’s my table for one?!? Come on world! I don’t want to sit at the bar! I deserve a tablecloth too! Or at least my own paper covered table where I get to use all the good colored crayons myself.

So, my personal challenge for the next year is to revel in my awkward social position & find the beauty that lies within it. Baby steps, yes. Third wheel, sometimes. But ultimately I will find my individuality & stand proud. That is not to imply that I am not already an individual, my laugh alone sets me apart I assure you. But when was the last time you spent time by yourself...out in the world? That's what I'm going to do. Yes, I will bond with my friends & my family, but I want to take this opportunity for what it is, a chance to spend a year with me. Then I will promptly jump up & down like a crazed golden retriever when my other half finally returns home, reveling in our coupleness to the nausea of all around, and I will not be ashamed. In the least bit. But I digress, in the meantime, standing proud. Standing Proud.

And, since getting back to writing has long been a goal of mine, I’ve decided to chronicle this journey for the enjoyment of cyberspace, for better or for worse. I’m not promising high seas adventures here people, I’m just trying to learn to sleep on both sides of the bed, stave off an NCIS marathon addiction & make at least one year in what I hope to be a long life, totally & completely about me.

So, what to do? I've got a few ideas, but mainly I’m just really excited by the possibilities….

No comments:

Post a Comment